I finished a new Toque just in time for my mom’s birthday – and it is LOVELY! It was an easy gift, she put in a request for an updated version of an earlier hat matching her Tuesday Night Cowl.
- Free Pattern
- 1 skein Handmaiden Cashmere 4ply
- 3.5mm needles (circular & DPN if knit circular, or straight if knit flat)
The pattern, Devin’s Toque, is an oldie and goodie. It is written for flat knitting (and seamed up the back), but is easily translated to a circular knit.
My mom’s head is very small, and cashmere tends to stretch with wear, so I made a few mods to accommodate.
- Worked in the round
- Used 3mm needles
- Used German Twisted Cast On.
- Did not cast on with 2 strands (as recommended by pattern)
- Cast on 96 sts for a size XS (head size 20.5″ circumference)
- Worked until close to using up the yarn.
- Blocked using Eucalan
- For decreases: I used k2tog instead of k2tog tbl (looks nicer)
- Second last round: knit (instead of purl)