A number of people have asked me about knitting for the Syrian Refugees who will be settling in Canada. I’ve done a little digging, researching and and networking and have finally have an answer for you and a direction.
Knit-O-Matic will be joining forces with the group 1000 Stitches for Syria, who are collecting knitted and crocheted garments for Syrian Refugees.
What to Knit/Crochet
According to our contact in the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship most of the refugees will be families, especially women and children. Currently they seem to be looking for outerwear & small toys:
- Mitts & Glove
- Small Toys (like Izzy dolls)
Soft, comfortable, and machine washable yarns are a good idea, we suggest:
- Berroco Vintage
- Berroco Vintage Chunky
- Cascade 220 Superwash
- Cascade 220 Superwash Sport
- Mineville Wool Project Merino DK
- Malabrigo Rios
- Rowan Superwash Worsted
How to Pack it Up
Before you drop your donations off you’ll need to do a few things to get it ready:
- Please place the donation in a clear Ziploc bag.
- To allow for easy distribution please download the donation tag form and include a completed donation tag with your item. Make sure the information on the tag is clearly visible from the outside of the bag. (Don’t forget to identify the fibres you have been working with, the type of item that you have donated and the rough size of the item). DOWNLOAD DONATION TAG HERE
- Please include a short welcome note with your donation. The refugees should have access to translators in English so please express your welcome in English.
Please don’t skip this step, it helps everyone involved!
Where to Drop-Off
You can drop off your finished products at Knit-O-Matic, we are an official drop off point. Other drop off points are listed in the Toronto Network of the 1000 Stitches for Syria group. If you are in another part of the country regional drop-off points are listed in the 1000 Stitches for Syria group (presently Halifax, Edmonton, Calgary, Kingston, Montreal, Ottawa, Regina and Winnipeg are involved).
The campaign deadline is Jan 31, 2016, but you can drop-off items any time.