Mermaid Tail Blanket
This one is a FINALLY finished personal project. It’s original finish date was my niece’s birthday at the end of January, but I started it late so it took about an extra month to get done. And then tack on some time for photography …. it’s impossible to get the kid to pose when the light is good (prime playing time, you know). In the end I had to bribe my nephew with a bowl of apple sauce and the promise that I’d come to his birthday party dressed as a fish (his idea), and he still wouldn’t stay put for more than 20 seconds.
I made some mods to the pattern (see my notes): I wanted the tension tighter to make it more durable, so went down a hook size. This of course changed the tension, so I had to start with more stitches. The top border was made with a smaller hook, then I changed to a the larger for the shells and tail fin. I worked it for a quasi-adult size (figured my niece might make it to 5’4″), and I made the decreases different from the pattern. I sewed large snaps up the side as a closure.
- Free Pattern on Ravelry
- 4mm/G + 4.5mm crochet hooks
- Cascade Avalon: 5 skeins 16 Blue Radiance, #5 skeins #2 Silver, 7 skeins #17 Enamel Blue
- 15mm Snaps (about 6 used)
- See my notes on Ravelry (I made some modifications)