Fleece Artist Vamps Kits
A ‘Vamp’ is a Newfoundland term for a pair of hand knit ankle socks used both as house slippers and as boot liners. They are knit holding 2 strands of yarn together (one merino and one super soft kid mohair), these slippers are a warm and fuzzy tribute to this regional hand knit tradition. This pattern is best knit on double pointed needles rather than short circular needles. You can also knit this kit up as a warm and fuzzy pair of Mitts!
Vamps Kits are a double gift – they’re a great gift for knitters, and they also knit up as a wonderful gift.
- Pattern & instructions (one size, for other sizes use the pattern Rye below)
- 125g of Fleece Artist Merino 3/6
- 50g of Handmaiden Angel Hair
Kit DOES NOT include 4mm double pointed needles
After knitting up a sample we found that seasoned sock knitters may not ‘get’ the pattern that is included with the kit. If you want an alternative path try using the free pattern for Rye Socks by TinCan Knits and making the following modifications:
- Use 4mm/US6 needles
- In the “Cuff” omit the “Round 1” & “Round 2”: start the heel flap immediately after making the ribbing
- The third size fits an average women’s foot, the fourth size fits
- omit garter stitch detail down the front