I was looking for a nice little intro level fair-isle pattern and came across this little beanie. Using 2 colours keeps things simple, and the pattern is straightforward and doesn’t require carrying many long floats in the back, so it’s easier to learn how to keep your tension consistent. Plus it’s pretty.
We used about 51g of the Main Colour (blue) for size large (23″ circumference head) and it fits like a beanie, so if you want to make your hat larger or taller I recommend getting a second ball. We only used half of the white, so you’re probably good there.
- Cascade 220 Superwash Sport: 1 skein in each colour (904 colonial blue and 817 aran)
- 3mm/US2.75mm – 16″ circular needles
- 3.5mm/US4 – 16″ circular needles
- 3.5mm/US4 double pointed needles
NEW Intro to Fair Isle Hat Class
Saturday March 2 & 9: 11am to 1 pm
Skill Level: intermediate (after mitts or sweaters), Instructor: Liane, 2 session class (4 hours total).
In this class, you will make a beautiful two colour fair isle hat while learning the basics of this popular colourwork technique. You’ll learn how to read a charted pattern, hold your yarn, change colours, carry the yarn, moderate your tension, and a few more ticks along the way! Don’t worry if that sounds daunting, our gentle instructor has got you covered!
Materials are not included in the price of our classes, but we sell everything you need and you receive 10% off all materials during your group class (if you register online you will receive a discount code by email with your class information).
- 2 balls of DK or Sport weight yarn in contrasting colours. We suggest Cascade 220 Superwash Sport (for a size large (23″ head) get 2 skeins for the main/background colour and 1 skein for the contrasting colour)
- 3mm/US2.5-16″ circular needles (the Knitter’s Pride interchangeable needles in the 3.5″ length are very handy for projects like this, as you won’t need to keep buying more needles every time you need a different size, which is especially helpful for sizes you don’t frequently use. Get a 16″ cable for this class.)
- 3.5mm/US4-16″ circular needles
- 3.5mm/US4 (7″ to 8″ long) double pointed needles (both the Knitter’s Pride 8″ and Clover 7″ are great)