The Louisiana Sweater by PetiteKnit is a fast little top-down project to keep you warm & cozy in the fall & winter months. It’s worked on 9mm/US19 needles, and there are lots of soft & comfy yarn options to choose from! See the YARN OPTIONS
Construction and Fit
The Louisiana Sweater is worked from the top down with raglan increases on the yoke. The ribbing at the neck edge is folded and knitted together to form the neckline. The Louisiana Sweater has a short, feminine fit. The sleeves have tight-fitting ribbed cuffs. The designer recommends using the Italian bind-off method (or Tubular Bind-Off) on cuffs and hem for a neat, elastic edge.
- You can find videos on the techniques used in this pattern at www.petiteknit.com.
- 10 sts x 14 rows in stockinette stitch on 9 mm [US13] needles with 2 strands of yarn held together = 10 x 10 cm [4 x 4 inches], after blocking
- Before you start knitting the sweater, begin by knitting a swatch to determine which needle size will give you the correct gauge
- Always wash your swatch to get the accurate tension measument.
The Louisiana Sweater is designed to have approx. 10-15 cm [4-6 inches] of positive ease, meaning it is designed to be 10-15 cm [4-6 inches] larger in circumference than your widest upper body measurement.
- Size: XS (S) M (L) XL (2XL) 3XL
- Finished Bust circumference: 100 (104) 110 (114) 124 (132) 138 cm [39¼ (41) 43¼ (45) 48¾ (52) 54¼ inches]
- Length: 53 (54) 56 (58) 58 (60) 62 cm [20¾ (21¼) 22 (22¾) 22¾ (23¼) 24½ inches] (incl. folded neck edge)
- Sleeve Length: 41 (42) 43 (43) 43 (44) 44 cm [16¼ (16½) 17 (17) 17 (17¼) 17¼ inches]
One of the great things about this project is that you have lots of options to choose for your yarn. The yarn that is closest to the one called for in the pattern is Drops Melody, a super-soft, bulky weight brushed alpaca blend, which is worked holding two strands together. For a slightly less fuzzy look you can also use a single strand of Drops Wish, or try Drops Air holding two strands together. For a more mixed texture try combining a strand of Drops Air and Drops Melody together. Finally, for a super smooth surface texture and complete machine washability you can work with a single strand of Estelle Merino Big.
E. Estelle Merino Big (single strand): 6(7, 7, 7, 7, 9, 9) balls
- 8mm/US11 – 16″ circular needles
- 8mm/US11 – 32″ or 40″ circular needles
- 9mm/US13 – 16″ circular needles
- 9mm/US13 – 24″ circular needles
- 9mm/US13 – 32″ or 40″ circular needles
- 8mm/US11 double-pointed
- stitch markers
- tapestry or darning needle