We are OPEN all day on Family Day Monday, February 18th, from 11 am to 6pm!
I’ve always loved these simple socks, and they knit up lickety-split with worsted weight yarn and 3.75mm needles. Rye makes a great first sock for beginners or something quick & easy for more experienced knitters (the designers even have an online sock tutorial for sock newbies). So in honour of Family Day, I say let there be socks!
Women’s socks should require about 1 skein/100g of and of the yarns listed below, for men’s socks I’d get a second skein (or make them shorter). Socks tend to be stretchy, so an Adult small isn’t really all that small and fits my size 8.5 feet.
If you don’t like double pointed needles never fear, you can try using some super short circular needles from Chiaogoo. The 9″ length is good for children’s sizes and average women’s size socks. The 12″ circulars will work with men’s socks, and women’s shoe sizes 10 & up (or if your feet are 12″ in circumference or larger).
- Baby (Toddler, Child, Adult S, M, L)
- Foot (adjustable): 4 (6, 7.5, 9, 10, 11.25) inches
- Leg (adjustable): 4 (6.5, 8, 9.5, 10.5, 11.5) inches
- Cuff: 5 (5.75, 6.5, 7.25, 8.25, 9) inches around
All of these yarns are 100% machine washable. The Manos Alegria Grande is made with merino wool and a bit of nylon, so they will hold up better than a yarn made with 100% wool. If you want to really wear these sock hard, like in winter boots, I suggest you go with a yarn that has a good amount of nylon in it, like Berroco Vintage or Berroco Comfort Print. If they are intended as house socks any of the following suggestions will work.
- Malabrigo Rios
- Manos Alegria Grande
- Urth Uneek Worsted
- Cascade 220 Superwash
- Berroco Vintage
- Berroco Comfort Print
- 137(160, 182, 228, 274, 319)m or 150 (175, 200, 250, 300, 350) yds of a machine washable worsted weight yarn (see list above). Women’s socks should require about 1 skein/100g of yarn, for men’s socks I’d get a second (or make them shorter).
- 3.75mm/US5 double pointed needles or 9″/12″ circular needles
- 3.25mm/US3 double pointed needles or 9″/12″ circular needles
- FREE pattern
Intro to Socks Class
Skill level: intermediate beginner (after hats & mitts), Instructor: Liane, 2 session class (4 hours)Whether you’re just up for something different or you would like to learn to make socks for the first time, this class is a great place to begin. Here you will learn how to use double pointed needles, how to make short-row toes and heels, a mitred alternative to the heel-flap of the traditional cuff-down sock, and how to bind off with elasticity. Materials not included, but we sell everything you need and you receive 10% off all materials during your class.
Yarn: 1 of any of the following:
- Berroco Vintage (40% Wool, 52% Acrylic, 8% Nylon)
- Cascade 220 Superwash Solid Colours (100% Peruvian Wool)
- Cascade 220 Superwash Heathered Colours (100% Peruvian Wool)
- Malabrigo Rios (100% Merino Wool, Hand Dyed)
- Manos Alegria Grande (75% Merino wool, 25% Polyamide)
- Berroco Comfort Print (50% Nylon, 50% Acrylic)
Needles: 3.75mm/US5 – 7.5″ double pointed needles