Last time was crochet, so today I’m looking at knitted bags that make me happy. Knitted bags can be simple and elegant, and make great totes and carryalls. They’re also a nice, smallish summer project – great for taking up to the cottage, your back-yard or the local park. They benefit from working with plant based fibres, which are perfect for the summer because they don’t hold humidity like most animal fibres do (wool, alpaca, camel, mohair, cashmere … basically everything except silk).
FYI: All the Yarns Listed Below are 20% OFF until July 31st!
I kind of love the simple spiral design on this bag, it’s elegant but has some interest, it’s a great design feature! Instructions are included for three sizes. It’s worked in the round, cast on using Judy’s Magic Cast-On and worked from the bottom up. Straps are then worked back and forth and grafted together at the top.
- Small (Medium, Large)
- Circumference: 28(31)(34) inches
- Height: 13(13.5)(14) inches
- Total Strap Length: 14(14.5)(15) inches
- Cascade Ultra Pima (2 skeins)
- Kelbourne Mojave (2 to 3 skeins)
- 4mm/US6 – 24″ circular needles
- locking stitch markers
Simple Knit Tote
Simplicity is also key wit this tote! You make this bag by first knitting the base flat, then picking up around the Base and knitting the Body of the bag in the round.
- Finished Circumference: 25 inches
- Finished Height: 11 inches
- Base of Bag: 3½ inches wide x 9 inches long
- Strap Width: 3½ inches
- Strap Length: 22 inches
- 5mm/US8 – 24″ or 32″circular needles
- a spare 5mm/US8 double pointed needle
- stitch holder (optional)
- stitch markers
- a few yards of sport or light worsted scrap yarn
Graphic stripes and simple designs make me extremely happy! This bag is knit flat in one piece in garter stitch to form a rectangle that is then folded and sewn on two sides to create the bag shape. If preferred, you can carry the yarns up the edge of the piece when working the “Thin and Thick Stripe Pattern” sections.
- Sizes: 1 (2, 3)
- Finished width at base: 28 (35, 42) cm / 11 (13¾, 16½)”
- Finished height: 28 (35, 42) cm / 11 (13¾, 16½)”
- Before sewing, flat piece measures 20 (25, 30) cm / 8 (10, 12)” x 60 (75, 90) cm / 24 (30, 35½)”
- Colour A: 1 (2, (2) balls
- Colour B: 1 (2, 2) balls
- Colour C: 1 (1, 2) balls
- 3mm/US2.5 needles
- tapestry needle