Quince & Co Kestrel
We’ve finally received our new stock of Quince & Co Kestrel! Sorry for the lateness, their shipment was late, then it got stuck in customs, then they shipped it, but half of our order got stuck in customs …. our kestrel has been on an international shipping ODYSSEY (oh the stories it could tell)!
If you aren’t already familiar with Kestrel, it’s a BEAUTIFUL, machine washable, organic linen made it Italy. It’s aran to bulky weight, so it knits up quickly and easily on 5mm/US8 to 6.5mm/US10.5 needles. Linen has a remarkable amount of drape and ease, so you can generally go down one to two sizes in a pattern (when I work with Kestrel on a 6.5mm/US10.5 needle I go down TWO sizes).
Spring-Summer Classes with Kestrel
We’ve been carrying Kestrel for about 2 or 3 years now, and we’ve been so impressed with its quality and how well it works-up that we’re using it in a number of our Spring & Summer workshops!
Quince & Co also just published their new pattern collections, Kestrel 2018, you can find the patterns HERE!
Baldric By Isablle Kraemer
I love this new pattern by Isabelle Kraemer – it’s casual, simple, and easy to work up in one piece!
- Quince & Co Kestrel: 9 (10, 11, 11, 12, 13, 14) skeins
- 5.5 mm/US9 – 24” (60 cm) and 32” (80 cm) circular needles
- 5.5 mm/US9 DPNs (or longer circular needle for magic loop) for neck, body and sleeves.
- Stitch holders or waste yarn
- stitch markers
- tapestry needle
- Pattern via Ravelry
- XS (S, M1, M2, L, XL, XXL)
- finished bust circumference: 36.75 (39, 42, 44.25, 47.5, 50.75, 52.75)” or
92 (97.25, 105.25, 110.75, 118.75, 126.75, 132) cm
- Sample is size S worn with 6” (15.25 cm) positive ease at bust.
Spring is finally here (if in name only) and we’re starting to start thinking outside the warm & woolly box! I love this simple tank, and I like even more the idea of making it with super soft, cool, and easy to care for (machine wash & dry) Quince & Co Sparrow! The pattern is knit in the round, from the top-down, so you can try it on as you go, and make it as long or cropped as you like.
- Linen is very stretchy, consider going down a size when you plan your project.
- Size (measures at bust): 30” (33”, 36”, 39”), (42”, 45”, 48”)
Bolan is a casual, loose tee, perfect for warm supper days and nights. Made with soft, cool, washable Quince & Co Sparrow it’ll definitely become a go-to garment! Bolan is knitted sideways in four pieces (two panels for the front, two for the back), and worked from the centre out to the ends of the short sleeves
- Shown in size 48½“ / 123 cm on a 33” / 84 cm, 5’ 9” / 175.5 cm tall model (15½” / 39.5 cm positive ease)
- Knitwear models tend to have HUGE shoulders
Quince & Company Sparrow
Sparrow is one of the loveliest linen yarns I’ve ever seen. This super high-quality organic linen is has a slight sheen and works up STUNNINGLY. It has a smooth hand and is crisp as you knit it. After washing and wearing it becomes handkerchief-soft and drapey – perfect for all year wear. It’s great in tanks, shawls, and breezy cardigans, and lovely as can be in bags, wash cloths, and other home accessories. Quince & Co has designed exquisite patterns with Sparrow, you can browse them HERE, or check out all the pattern ideas on Ravelry. You can also see our past blog posts featuring Sparrow.
Photos: Quince & Company
I find this simple little pullover exceptionally inspiring for spring/summer. It’s worked in one piece from the top down with a looser tension and easy yarnovers make for an interesting detail. You know my opinion on these things, I love a good K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Silly), and I consider 250 finished projects on Ravelry a good referral.
Keep in mind, linen is a very drapey and stretchy textile, and if you like your garments closer fitting you might want to go down a size. The garment is shown in size 34″ with no ease. A-line shaping is created by changing to a larger needle size.
- Finished Bust: 31¼ (34, 37, 40, 43, 46, 48¾, 51, 53, 56)” or [79.5 (87, 94, 101.5, 109, 116, 124, 129.5, 134.5, 142) cm]
- Quince & Company Sparrow: 4 (5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8) skeins
- 3.5mm/US4-32″ circular needles
- 3.75mm/US5- 32″ circular needles
- 4mm/US6-32″ circular needles
- 3.5mm/US4 double pointed needles
- stitch markers
Quince & Co Linens are 25% OFF until March 9th! It’s a great time to pick up a deal on last year’s stock, but get it fast because it’s going to fly!
My friend Rosie just finished the Shoals Tank last week and it is BEAUTIFUL! I’m not normally a lace person, but the texture is absolutely gorgeous, it only enhances the already stunning Quince & Co Sparow (on SALE until the end of July)!
The tank is worked in the round from the bottom up, the back and front are divided at armhole and worked flat. The straps are joined at the shoulder using the three-needle bind off (easy peasy)! The A-line shape is achieved by using different needle sizes, which is great, less for you to think about.
- Bust 30½ (33¼, 36, 38½, 41¼, 44, 46½, 49¼, 52, 54½)” [77.5, 84.5, 91, 98, 104, 112, 118, 125, 132, 138) cm]
- Size shown is 33¼” 84 cm worn with ¾” 2 cm negative ease.
- Quince & Co Sparow: 5 (5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8) skeins
- 32″ circular needles: 2.25/US1, 2.75/US2, 3.25/US3, and 3.5mm/US4
I need a little cardie to wear with summer dresses and I just cast on for Quick Sand. It’s a quick & simple top-down knit made with Quince & Co Kestrel (on SALE until the end of July)!
The project isn’t particularly complicated, there are short-rows that you can skip (the form the shaping in the back). One Caveat: the pattern formatting is a little unusual, so before you start I suggest you go through the pattern with a pencil and circle the numbers that apply to you. You might also want to write out some of the instructions in longhand, just to keep things clear in your mind.
I’m making some modifications, mine will be cropped and I’m using slightly larger needles to achieve a looser tension. I’ll update all the details as I go in my Ravelry project notes.
- Bust: XS(S, M1, M2, L, XL, XXL)
- Bust: 31 ½ (34 ½, 37 ¾, 41, 44, 47 ¼, 51 ½)
- Quince & Co Kestrel: 8(9, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14) skeins
- 5.5mm circular needles
- 5.5mm double pointed needles (or 12″ circular)
- stitch markers