I love the simple lines of this casual, oversized sweater (Carbeth), and after a few people told me chatted me up about it I thought I should definitely share. Mason Dixon Knitting is hosting a “Bang Out A Carbeth” KAL (knit-along), and should you want to join, I’ve got a few post-holidays affordable yarn suggestions …
- 2 skeins (holding 1 strand) … all sizes come to about $60
- This 100% Peruvian wool is great for an oversized sweater, and you can’t beat the price!
- 4(5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7) skeins (holding 1 strand) … $40 to $70
- Soft, comfortable and machine washable, Berroco Vintage Chunky is a great choice for people with sensitive skin who can’t wear wool, or anyone who may not be inclined to wash by hand. Plus, it comes in a full palette of gorgeous colours!
- 3(3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4) skeins (holding 2 strands together) … $46 to $62
- Wool-free, soft, pretty, comfortable, machine washable and environmentally friendly, Berroco Remix Light is a great option for a sweater that will carry you from winter through to spring (I don’t know about the climate where you live, but where I am it doesn’t really get particularly warm until mid-May).
- The Carbeth pattern was originally written for two strands of yarn held together, so doing this with the remix shouldn’t be a problem, and the yarn’s tweedy texture will blend well. Plus, using two strands gives you the opportunity to use two different colours at the same time to create a marled effect … I think i may do this with mine.
Finished measurement at bust: 92.5 (101.5, 110.5, 122, 133.5, 142, 151) cm / 36½ (40, 43½, 48, 52½, 56, 59½) in.