DMC Natura XL
Buying yarn is a bit like grocery shopping for a large family – you look for products that suit the whole family. When I came across DMC Natura XL I was super excited because it ticked A LOT of boxes ….
First, it’s a super bulky weight cotton. Yup, really thick cottons are really hard to come by, especially yarns that look and act like regular, real yarn. Seriously, it calls for 8mm/US11 to 9mm/US13 needles! Second, it’s 100% cotton, all natural, so perfect for vegans, sensitives, and babies. Third, it’s soft and machine washable – which is essential around here, so many baby & kid knits start with us (see the baby blanket pattern below). Fourth, it has good yardage. So many times you find a yarn but one ball isn’t long enough to do much of anything. Fifth, it comes in lots of NICE colours …. it drives me batty when the yarn base is lovely but the colours are acrid. Sixth, it isn’t made in China, nobody was exploited in the manufacture of this yarn. Seventh and actually much higher on my list of priorities is the price, which is very reasonable – only $8.97 for a 100g ball.
DMC Natura XL is especially great for baby & kid projects, blankets pillows and afghans, as well as crocheted baskets and other home decor projects.
- Super Bulky
- 8mm/US11 to 9mm/US13 needles
- 6mm/J to 7mm hook
- 100% cotton
- soft & comfortable
- machine washable
- 100g – 75m(82yds)
- 30 colours
- Made in the EU
- See patterns for DMC Natural XL
DMC Natura XL Baby Blanket
Crochet Baskets & Stool Cover
I think I need to get myself a stool so I can crochet it a sweater …. These two crochet patterns both use DMC Natura XL and work up in a jiff! The patterns are published in Women’s Weekly Knitting & Crochet June 2015, which is available for free through our public library as a digital download (if you live outside of Toronto you should check your local library to see if they offer this service). Alternately, you can also pay to download the patterns from the magazine’s parent company:
Photos: Yarnplaza, DMC
Spring is finally here (if in name only) and we’re starting to start thinking outside the warm & woolly box! I love this simple tank, and I like even more the idea of making it with super soft, cool, and easy to care for (machine wash & dry) Quince & Co Sparrow! The pattern is knit in the round, from the top-down, so you can try it on as you go, and make it as long or cropped as you like.
- Linen is very stretchy, consider going down a size when you plan your project.
- Size (measures at bust): 30” (33”, 36”, 39”), (42”, 45”, 48”)
Bolan is a casual, loose tee, perfect for warm supper days and nights. Made with soft, cool, washable Quince & Co Sparrow it’ll definitely become a go-to garment! Bolan is knitted sideways in four pieces (two panels for the front, two for the back), and worked from the centre out to the ends of the short sleeves
- Shown in size 48½“ / 123 cm on a 33” / 84 cm, 5’ 9” / 175.5 cm tall model (15½” / 39.5 cm positive ease)
- Knitwear models tend to have HUGE shoulders
Quince & Company Sparrow
Sparrow is one of the loveliest linen yarns I’ve ever seen. This super high-quality organic linen is has a slight sheen and works up STUNNINGLY. It has a smooth hand and is crisp as you knit it. After washing and wearing it becomes handkerchief-soft and drapey – perfect for all year wear. It’s great in tanks, shawls, and breezy cardigans, and lovely as can be in bags, wash cloths, and other home accessories. Quince & Co has designed exquisite patterns with Sparrow, you can browse them HERE, or check out all the pattern ideas on Ravelry. You can also see our past blog posts featuring Sparrow.
Photos: Quince & Company
I find this simple little pullover exceptionally inspiring for spring/summer. It’s worked in one piece from the top down with a looser tension and easy yarnovers make for an interesting detail. You know my opinion on these things, I love a good K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Silly), and I consider 250 finished projects on Ravelry a good referral.
Keep in mind, linen is a very drapey and stretchy textile, and if you like your garments closer fitting you might want to go down a size. The garment is shown in size 34″ with no ease. A-line shaping is created by changing to a larger needle size.
- Finished Bust: 31¼ (34, 37, 40, 43, 46, 48¾, 51, 53, 56)” or [79.5 (87, 94, 101.5, 109, 116, 124, 129.5, 134.5, 142) cm]
- Quince & Company Sparrow: 4 (5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8) skeins
- 3.5mm/US4-32″ circular needles
- 3.75mm/US5- 32″ circular needles
- 4mm/US6-32″ circular needles
- 3.5mm/US4 double pointed needles
- stitch markers
Rowan Original Denim
Rowan Original Denim is a 100% cotton yarn, which behaves like denim fabric. It shrinks slightly on its first wash and the colour continues to fade gradually over time, creating a unique look. It’s great for people of all ages, and all kinds of projects, including sweaters, tanks, blankets, bags, facecloths and tea-towels, etc.
Rowan Original Denim is suitable for all-year-round knits and showcases textured stitches and cabling brilliantly. If you want to keep your Rowan Original Denim garments looking sharp, try hand washing in a delicate wash and add a cup of white vinegar to the water before adding the garments.
- Rowan Original Denim is dyed with indigo, and while using this yarn you can expect dye to rub off on your hands and needles, especially the darker shades.
- Consider using metal needles and wearing dark colours while you work with it, (and definitely stay away from white furniture).
- To stabilize the dye, block your knits in cold water with a cup of white vinegar.
- Read more about using denim yarns and knitting denim squares.
Photos: Rowan. Patterns: Creeper, Paris, Raspy
- Rowan Original Denim: 11(12, 12, 13, 14) skeins [finished width: 17.5 (19, 19.5, 21, 21.5″)]
- 3.75mm/US5 needles
- 4mm/US6 needles
Berroco Remix Light
Berroco Remix Light is a soft, tweedy, nubby blend of 100% recycled fibres, with absolutely no wool content. Machine-washable Remix Light is perfect for everything from sweaters, tanks, wraps and other accessories, and is great for babies, children and adults. It’s also a great deal – each 100g skein measures in at a whopping FOUR HUNDRED METRES (twice the normal yardage for comparable spring/summer yarns like Cascade Ultra Pima).
An allover lace rib pattern forms a classic cardigan. Knit in pieces and seamed, this cardigan knitting pattern is sure to become a wardrobe staple.
- Bust (closed)—35½(39½-44-49-53½-57½-62)“ after blocking
- Note: This garment was designed with approximately 4–6” of ease. Please take this into consideration when selecting your size. Shown in size 39½“
- Berroco Remix Light : 3(3-3-4-4-4-5) balls #6927 Old Jeans
- Straight needles, sizes 3 (3.25 mm) and 4 (3.50 mm) or size to obtain gauge
- Stitch markers
- Seven ⅞“ buttons
Photo: Caroline Hegwer
How pretty is this light, summer cover-up!? Not only is the pattern a freebie, but you can make it with any DK weight yarn – the very ultra soft, silky, and affordable Cascade Ultra Pima would be perfect! The pattern uses a series of needle sizes to create shape, so you’ll be very pleased if you already own a set of interchangeable needles, and if not it might be a great excuse to indulge!
- Cascade Ultra Pima: 3 to 4 skeins
- 16″ (or 24″ can work) circular needles, sizes 4.5mm/US7 & 5mm/US8
- 24″ circular needles, sizes 5.5mm/US9 & 6mm/US10
- 32″ circular needles, sizes 6.5mm/US10.5 & 8mm/US11
- stitch markers
- tapestry/darning needles
- row counter
- FREE Pattern