Urth Galatea is a super soft and super stunning bulky weight cloud cotton. It’s a truly special hand-painted, self-striping yarn that knits up in sophisticated, self-striping colourways. Urth Galatea is vegan, machine washable, and perfect for babies, kids, spring and summer sweaters, tanks and tees, and blankets! We have found it knits up well on 6.5mm/US10.5 to 7mm/US10.75 needles.
- 100% Cotton (mercerized)
- 100g/85m (95yds)
- 5.5mm to 8mm (US9 to 11) needles
- 14 sts = 4″/10cm
- Bulky Weight
- Machine wash, lay flat to dry
- Made in Turkey
- See the yarn on Ravelry
- The pattern for our mini-sweater swatch is HERE; we used 6mm/US10 needles.
How Much Will I Need?
- 1 skein: hat
- 2 skeins: scarf
- 5 skeins: baby blanket (approx 27″ x 30″ in garter stitch on 6.5mm/US10 needles)
Inspiration (yet to be realized)
I think Galatea would especially great as a loose, cropped, oversized drop-shouldered sleeveless summer tee (you know, the kind made from two rectangles sewn together … something that is shaped like THIS). I’d use big needles, 8mm/US11
My first thought when I found Galatea was babies & kids! We made the smallest size in this hat pattern to fit a little person. Because the yarn is a bulky weight cotton it doesn’t have a lot of give, so you can go up in needle size. We tried 6mm/US10 needles but I think the yarn would be best on 6.5mm/US10.5 or 7mm/US10.75 needles.
- Urth Galatea: 1 skein (colour 2088, shown in smallest size)
- 6.5mm/US10.5 – 16″ circular needles (or 7mm/US10.75 if you are a tight knitter)
- 6.5mm/US10.5 double-pointed needles (or 7mm/US10.75 if you are a tight knitter)
- Free Pattern
Meadow Lane Baby Blanket
Meadow Lane is one my go-to blanket patterns because it’s extremely effective with hand-painted yarns and it’s mostly brainless, so you can get some binge-watching in, letting the yarn do all the work. We used 5 skeins of Urth Galatea in colour 2089 Pinata and our blanket is 27″ wide x 30″ long.
We cast on 76 sts and used 6.5mm/US10.6 needles, although I think you can easily go up to a 7mm/US10.75. To block the blanket we hand-washed it and laid it flat to dry.
- Urth Galatea: 5 skeins in in colour 2089 Pinata
- 6.5mm/US10.5 – 29″ circular needles (or 7mm/US10.75 – 32″ if you are a tight knitter)
- Free Pattern
If your yarn is pooling or not striping the way you want it to, try using a denser stitch, like garter stitch or a K1P1 rib. Variegated yarns look especially good in garter stitch (knitting every row), and it makes self-striping yarns extra interesting to the eye.