Is it going to be warm? Is it going to be cold? I can’t tell anymore! I’ve been wearing shawls around the store lately, but I feel like I’d like something with a *touch* more structure, a little more style. After an exhaustive search, I’ve settled on Maeve, a shrug with a modern cable detail and little sleevettes.
The pattern calls for a worsted weight yarn, but after looking at the tension, needle size and finished projects I’d say it’s more like a DK weight like Mineville Merino DK or Cascade 220 Superwash Sport. If you want to go up to a light worsted weight yarn like Cascade 220, Cascade 220 Superwash, or Malabrigo Rios, go up a needle size to a 4mm/US6 or 4.5mm/US7 needle (test your tension and see how you like the fabric). I think I just want something simple and heathered, I’ll probably just use
I like heathers and tweeds, and since my Maeve will be worn a lot I need it to wear well. I think I’ll use a basic staple yarn like Cascade 220 Heathers – sometimes it’s best to keep things simple and not overthink it. I’ll probably make a smaller size, it;s a very unstructured garment and the dimensions of this type of style are generous.
Mini Knit Hack
Sometimes I like the feel of a yarn once the project has been blocked, but not so much in the skein when it’s straight off the shelf. If you don’t love the feel of your yarn in the skein, you can soften it up by washing it before you start knitting.
- If your yarn is not already in a skein wind it up around the backs of a couple of chairs, or on a swift (if you have one).
- With scrap yarn, secure the skeins in at least 4 sections (to keep the yarn from getting tangled while being washed).
- Wash skeined yarn in Eucalan no-rinse delicate wash (it is very easy, see instructions on the bottle/youtube/their website). Add a quarter cup of white vinegar to the water to stabilize the colour.
- Hang yarn to dry.
- Wind yarn into balls or cakes.
- Mineville Merino DK: 6 to 9 skeins
- Cascade 220 Superwash Sport: 10 to
- Cascade 220: 6 to 9 skeins
- Cascade 220 Superwash: 6 to 9 skeins
- Malabrigo Rios: 6 to 9 skeins
- 3.75mm/US5 – 29″ circular needles (or longer)
- 3.75mm/US5 double pointed needles
- tapestry/darning needle