Labour Day Weekend Store Hours
I’m needed by my family this weekend for an 80th birthday party, followed by my sister-in-law’s departure for her first academic conference (we’re so proud of her!), so I’m taking an extra day off this Saturday. The last weekend of the summer is not traditionally a busy one in the yarn store, so I don’t think you’ll miss me too, too much. I adore it when you come by, but I also love it when people are out taking advantage of beautiful weather and just enjoying life.
Friday: 12 pm to 6 pm
Tuesday: 12 pm to 6 pm
My current reading suggestion is A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. You can read it on paper, digitally download it, or get it as an audiobook (which is read by the author), so you can knit/crochet/wash dishes/walk/run/get your nails done while you read. It is also accompanied by a chapter-by-chapter podcast with Oprah (stream free online or on any podcast service, including Spotify), so you can test the water and see if it’s for you, and if it is, you can read along with the author, lady-O, and regular people asking really good questions. I feel kind of silly having come so late to the Tolle party (especially after seeing Oprah’s podcast was recorded in early 2019), but I guess I wasn’t ready. Now that I’m here I see exactly why Oprah has been such a fan. Tolle isn’t just talking about spiritual life, he’s talking about LIFE (or to the point, spiritual life IS life).
If you’re at a place where you want to change yourself, your life and our world for the better, this book is a great point of reference to help you level up. Just one caveat – people who are negative and aren’t ready to leave that state won’t get this book (and judging by the reviews online it seems to make them really angry). If you have a negative person in your life, giving them this book won’t ‘fix’ them – they have to be open to healing themselves. People who aren’t quite ready, but are getting there, might read a chapter or two but it won’t stick, it’ll sort of go through them – if this is you or a loved one it’s a good sign, hold on to the book, it’ll be there for you when it’s needed next. Anyway, the best books are always the ones you can read over and over and get something new from each time.
Get your fall off to a great start with a simple cardie you can wear everywhere, all the time. The Effortless Cardigan is made with a simple worsted weight yarn and ONE pair of 4.5mm – 32″ circular needles. It’s knit from the top-down in one piece (the underside of the sleeves are seamed, but if you prefer you can knit them in the round). The pattern is free, and there are a range of affordable yarn options, so if you end up loving your sweater you can keep making them and fill your wardrobe!
- keep it simple and use one colour
- make funky stripes with two colours
- classic stripes – two colours
- use up your leftovers
- Finished Bust (not including front bands) 34 (38.5, 42, 45.5, 49.5)” in.” or (86.5 (98, 106.5, 115.5, 125.5) cm)
- Berroco Vintage: Super soft, machine washable, blend of wool & synthetic. ($10.47 ea.) – 4 (5, 5, 6, 6) balls
- Drops Air: Cozy and light – super soft baby alpaca blown in an airy nylon core. ($10.97 ea) – 6 (7, 7, 8, 8) balls
- Cascade 220 Superwash: Soft, machine washable, 100% Peruvian wool at a very affordable price (go up a size in the pattern). ($13.97 ea.) – 4 (5, 5, 6, 6) balls
- Berroco Summer Sesame: Great for warm climates … light, machine-washable, colourful and slightly textured (go up a size in the pattern). SALE $14.98 (
Reg. $19.97) – 3 (4, 4, 5, 5) balls
- Cascade 220 Superwash Merino: Super soft, machine washable, 100% Merino wool at a very affordable price (go up a size in the pattern). ($15.97 ea.) – 4 (5, 5, 6, 6) balls
- Malabrigo Rios: Super soft, hand-dyed, machine washable, 100% Merino wool. We suggest alternating skeins to get the best colour distribution. ($23.97 ea) – 4 (5, 5, 6, 6) balls
- 4.5mm/US7 – 29″ (or longer) circular needles
- Stitch Markers (fixed or locking)
- Darning or Tapestry Needle
- FREE Pattern
Our SUMMER SALE is ending Sept 5th! Select products (including some clearance items and craft kits!) are now 25% OFF. The discount is online and in-store, and it will be automatically be added at check-out, so you don’t have to jump through any extra hoops or remember to put in a discount code (this discount can not be combined with any other offers or discounts – you won’t be able to use another discount code when you check-out).
See our Past Project Ideas For:
- Berroco Remix Light
- Berroco Pima Soft
- Berroco Summer Sesame
- Rico So Cool & So Soft
- Quince & Co Kestrel
- Quince & Co Sparrow