We are CLOSED on Family Day Monday, February 15th.
in honour of Family Day, I say let there be socks! I’ve always loved these simple socks, and they knit up lickety-split with worsted weight yarn and 3.75mm needles. Rye makes a great first sock for beginners or something quick & easy for more experienced knitters (the designers even have an online sock tutorial for sock newbies). And the FREE pattern is written for the entire (human) family, from baby to all the adults.
Women’s socks should require about 1 skein/100g of and of the yarns listed below, for men’s socks I’d get a second skein (or make them shorter). Socks tend to be stretchy, so an Adult small isn’t really all that small and fits my size 8.5 feet.
If you don’t like double pointed needles never fear, you can try using some super short circular needles from Chiaogoo. The 9″ length is good for children’s sizes and average women’s size socks. The 12″ circulars will work with men’s socks, and women’s shoe sizes 10 & up (or if your feet are 12″ in circumference or larger).
- Baby (Toddler, Child, Adult S, M, L)
- Foot (adjustable): 4 (6, 7.5, 9, 10, 11.25) inches
- Leg (adjustable): 4 (6.5, 8, 9.5, 10.5, 11.5) inches
- Cuff: 5 (5.75, 6.5, 7.25, 8.25, 9) inches around
All of these yarns are 100% machine washable. If you want to really wear these sock hard, like in winter boots, I suggest you go with a yarn that has a good amount of nylon in it, like Berroco Vintage or Berroco Comfort Print. If they are intended as house socks any of the following suggestions will be gorgeous:
- 137(160, 182, 228, 274, 319)m or 150 (175, 200, 250, 300, 350) yds of a machine washable worsted weight yarn (see list above). Women’s socks should require about 1 skein/100g of yarn, for men’s socks I’d get a second (or make them shorter).
- 3.75mm/US5 double pointed needles or 9″/12″ circular needles
- 3.25mm/US3 double pointed needles or 9″/12″ circular needles
- FREE pattern