Strathcona is a simple, oversized, super-bulky weight sweater knits up VERY quickly and easily on 15mm/US19 needles! We used Cascade SPUNTANEOUS, and incredibly soft, single ply merino wool that plumps up to meet the needs of the big needles. You can find more great quick to knit super-bulky patterns by Tara-Lynn Morrison HERE. Strathcona is a great pullover for newer or less experienced knitters, since it is knit in the round in one piece from the top-down (no finishing), and it knits up FAST for instant gratification! The fit is loose and cozy.
If you want more colour at play in your sweater try Malabrigo RASTA. For something that looks like mohair without any of the itch try Drops MELODY (2 strands together), or for something with the aura of fuzz and the structure of a more normal yarn try Drops MELODY & Drops WISH held together (still zero itch). See below for quantities required.
- (XXS/XS), S/M, (L/XL), (XXL/XXXL)
- Approx (48.5 cm / 19”) 53.5 cm / 21” (61cm / 23.75”) (67.5 cm / 26.5”) across chest
- Approx (46 cm / 17” ) 48.5 cm / 19” (51 cm / 21”) (58.5cm / 23”) in body length
- our sample is size S/M
For projects like this that require several lengths of circular needles (if you don’t already have the right sizes) we generally recommend INTERCHANGEABLE needles.
- Cascade SPUNTANEOUS: 4(4, 4, 5) skeins [shown in colour 22 Juniper]
- 9mm/US13 – 16″ circular needles
- 10mm/US15 – 24″ circular needles
- 15mm/US19 – 24″ circular needles
- 15mm/US19 – 32″ circular needles
- Jumbo Stitch Markers
- Stitch Holders or Scrap Yarn
- Jumbo tapestry or drning needle
- Pattern: Strathcona