Great one skein last minute gift! A client came in last week wearing a very simple toque (that’s Canadian for a winter hat) made with Malabrigo Rasta and I immediately thought “I’ve got to find a pattern for my other clients for that!”. This hat is styled with the brim turned up, but if you wear it turned down it becomes a perfect slouchy style hat. A bit Thank You to Halan for the inspiration!
All the following yarn are suitable and ON SALE until January 8!
Twistin’ The Night Away
Need to make something for the non-hat wearer in in your life? Banish hat-hair with this quick & easy headband! It’s a quick & easy knit, and small enough to work as a secret-santa gift. One skein of Malabrigo Rasta or Cascade Spuntaneous makes at least two headbands – one for you and one for them? Headband Twinsies!
Both of these yarns are made from buttery soft, super-bulky merino wool – perfect for a headband!
Easy Loose Cabled Cowl
Our loose cabled cowl is a last minute knits that work up FAST! We made ours light and airy on 15mm/US19 needles and two skeins of Malabrigo Rasta, but you can also you one Cascade Magnum, Cascade Spuntaneous, or three Estelle Big Alpaca Bulky.
Malabrigo Rasta: 2 skeins
Cascade Magnum: 1 skein
Cascade Spuntaneous: 1 skein
Estelle Big Alpaca Bulky: 3 skeins
I love it when things come together fast and easily, and this scarf was one of them. The pattern looks complicated but it was an extremely simple cable stitch. I was playing around with a new yarn, buttery soft Cascade Spuntaneous. I wanted to see how it would knit up in different ways, so I pushed it to it’s limit and used 12mm/US17 needles for the body of the scarf. It looks awesome and blocked larger than it knit up, which was beneficial because it was looking a bit on the short & stout side when it came off the needles.
The cool thingy on the scarf in the first picture is the JUL Designs Mod Loop Leather Closure in Truffle. All of the JUL designs products are kind of like ingenious jewellery for your knits. They screw in, so they are no-sew and you can remove them and use them as often and with as many garments as you like (you can see a video demonstrating how they work HERE). Of course, you do not need to wear this scarf with a closure, I just thought it looked neat and tried it.
After blocking the scarf measured approximately 11″ wide and 62″ long.
- used 12mm/US17 needles for the body of the scarf
- added 5 rows of K2P2 rib on each end with 10mm/US15 needles
- wet blocked the scarf by washing it in Soak Wash, removing the excess water by rolling it in a towel, and then laying flat to dry
- if you want a narrower scarf or want to use less yarn there’s definitely room to omit one pattern repeat (6 stitches)
- if you want to join the ends and make a cowl you can cast on using a provisional cast on and then either graft the ends together using kitchener stitch or use a 3 needle bind off to join the ends.
JUMBO Travelling Cables Hat
Need a warm hat this winter? I think this hat is an excellent candidate. It’s thick, duper-super soft, and works up FAST. The jumbo cables make it interesting and a bit warmer too. We used one skein of brand new Cascade Spuntaneous, a buttery soft and light as air single ply merino wool. I had a little bit of yarn shortage anxiety, but I was fine and didn’t have to go into a second skein.
One size, and the hat fits a bit small (21″ to 22″ head) but you can make it larger by using larger needles: 10mm/US15 for the ribbing and 12mm/US17 for the rest of the hat.
Our hat was made on 8mm/US11 & 9mm/US13 needles and blocked by washing it in Eucalan and laying flat to dry. We also accidentally knitter an extra row or two in the brim.
Measurements after Blocking (with brim turned up)
- outside: 9.5″ wide & 10″ long
- inside: 8.5″ wide & 10″ long
- brim turned up: 2.75″
- FREE Pattern
- Cascade Spuntaneous: 1 skein
- 8mm.US11-16″ circular needles (or 10mm/US15 for larger sizes)
- 9mm/US13-16″ circular needles (or 12mm/US17 for larger sizes)
- 9mm/US13 double pointed needles (or 12mm/US17 for larger sizes)
- Jumbo cable needle
- Jumbo tapestry needle
- Jumbo stitch marker