Elena Pullover By Åsa Buchta
If you didn’t catch it, Berroco just published a new free pattern, a darling colourwork kids tee made with Berroco Vintage DK. Worked from the top down in one piece, it’s a perfect next step for less experienced knitters who want to expand their skills, or a simple yet effective knit for more advanced knitters. Since it’s knit from the top-down, you can also lengthen the sleeves and make it into a full pullover.
The yarn, Berroco Vintage DK, is soft, machine washable, easy to work with, knits great in stranded colourwork, is long wearing, and is very affordable … ie. great for projects for kids! See below for a couple other yarns that are equally perfect for this project.
Skill Level: Intermediate
For tutorials for stranded/fair isle knitting see our Skills Page under “Colourwork”. For a full online course, check out the fair isle knitting classes on Craftsy, like Tanis Gray’s Fair Isle Fundamentals.
- Directions are for children’s sizes 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10.
- Chest: (25, 27, 29, 31, 33)” / (63.5, 68.5, 73.5, 79, 84) cm
- Length: (12½, 15, 17, 18½, 20)” / (32, 38, 43, 47, 51) cm
- Shown in size 4.
- Recommended ease: approximately 2–4″ / 5–10 cm positive ease.
- Berroco Vintage DK: (2, 2, 2, 2, 3) hanks 2136 Bird’s Eye (MC) and 1 hank 2194 Breezeway (CC) (see below for more yarn options)
- 3.5mm/US4 – 16″ circular needles
- 4mm/US6 – 16″ circular needles
- 3.5mm/US4 double-pointed needles (or 9″ circular needles)
- 1 stitch marker
- Waste yarn to hold stitches
- FREE Pattern
Other Yarn Options
- Remix light is prefect for warm weather or people who can’t tolerate any animal fibre. It it has a slightly tweedy texture which makes it great for stranded knitting and comes in a palette or really pretty colours.
- 1(2, 2, 2, 2) balls of Main Colour and 1 ball of Contrast Colour
- Vintage Baby has a slightly silkier texture, is machine washable, and comes in it’s own palette of colours
- 3(4, 4, 5, 6) balls of Main Colour and 1 ball of Contrast Colour